Broadstairs Beach

Broadstairs Beach

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Oxford, Bath, and Stonehenge

This past weekend, we took a two-day trip to see the University of Oxford, the Roman Baths, and Stonehenge.  It was a lovely weekend and I think I enjoyed Bath the most.  One of my favourite authors, Jane Austen, lived in Bath and there is a Jane Austen Centre dedicated to her life and writing located in the city of Bath.  Unfortunately, I was unable to see this because we had a scheduled tour of the Roman Baths and then lunch all packed into just two hours.  However, I intend to go back and see the Jane Austen Centre and also a fashion museum that seemed interesting. 

The Roman Baths are situated in the centre of the city and a museum surrounds the actual bath itself.  After a very informative tour, we walked down to the site for a few pictures.  The water is greenish blue and apparently is tastes metallic and gross, but a few people paid for a cup of it to drink – ew!  In the museum, there are remains of an ancient Roman altar which has been pieced back together and partially reconstructed where other pieces are missing.  Seeing that was pretty crazy, considering actual blood sacrifices used to take place there.  Apparently, the smell of the burning meat of oxen and sheep was meant to tempt the gods to come and listen to the prayers of the worshipers.  It was all very fascinating to see in person.  A few videos featured reenactments of Roman daily life in the temples.  The temple at Bath was built primarily for the goddess Minerva, but historians say there were several smaller altars constructed for other gods and goddesses. 

Thanks a lot, random photo bomber girl

The Bath Abbey


The city itself is beautiful and elegant.  It is very expensive to own property in Bath.  It has always been a city of high society and the homes there are very elegant, most are built in a Victorian style.  We passed the hall where Jane Austen would have attended balls, which were the inspiration for the balls in her novels (like Pride and Prejudice!)






Gorgeous scenery at Bath




Oxford was extremely crowded because we visited on graduation day – one of ten graduation days in the academic year.  The University itself doesn't really have a campus.  Each of the 38 colleges (I think there’s 38?) has a unique sort of mini-campus with its own accommodations, library, lecture halls, dining hall, and lounge areas.  We caught a glimpse of Balliol College (only £1 to get in!) and it was really beautiful.  Very scholarly.  The fall leaves added a nice touch of colour to the old buildings.  The dining hall looks like something from Harry Potter.  It was really cool to peek inside the life of an Oxford student!  Speaking of the Oxford students, there are so many attractive and intelligent looking men at Oxford.  I think I was shopping for more than just souvenirs while I was there! ;)




This is one of the libraries at Oxford!  Sorry I don't remember the names of all of these important buildings... oops.


After a quick lunch in Oxford, we stopped for mulled cider at a pub called The Eagle and Child.  This pub was the regular meeting place of authors C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.  How cool is that?!  They would come here on a weekly basis to review each other’s work and discuss their projects.  I cannot believe it!  As I sat there, eating a snack, I wondered where Lewis sat and tried to imagine what drink he would get at the pub.  It was a cozy and tiny little place with a fireplace and a small sitting room at the front.  Very comfy.  Just being there in that environment made me want to cozy up with a copy of The Chronicles of Narnia



In the evening, we chilled at our hotel (a Holiday Inn Express – felt like home, sort of…).  A group of us decided to eat lunch at Freddie and Benny’s, an Italian American style restaurant.  The food was delicious!  With black and white photos on the walls and vintage looking American posters, it looked like someone tried really hard to make it look like a TGI Friday’s or maybe an Apple Bee’s.  Too funny!  Afterwards, we found an arcade next door and stopped in to play a few rounds of….. DDR! 




Sunday afternoon, we went to Stonehenge.  Our guide told us we are among the last few groups to see the site so close.  Sometime in early 2014, the new visitor centre will open.  From this visitor centre, visitors will be bused to Stonehenge in small groups.  It was quite crowded, but the view was incredible.  Personally, I was more interested in the ancient burial mounds that surround Stonehenge.  According to our guide, these burial grounds were mainly for people with disabilities like spina bifida.  There are so many burial mounds all around the surrounding countryside and I guess farmers just farm around them.  It’s pretty eerie! 






In the coming weeks, I am attempting to write as many of my final essays as possible.  Once I am ahead of schedule, I will be able to relax and enjoy the Thanksgiving feast and my trip to Rome that weekend. 

This morning, a group of us from Vernon had a prayer meeting in the basement of our building.  It was so good to do that – I feel very strongly that God has strategically placed each of us together on this trip and in this building to encourage and support one another.  As we were praying, a repair man walked in and started to install a new piece of equipment.  That was kind of funny.  But anyway, it was quite an encouraging start to my day and I hope to do this more often!  I did go to a Wednesday morning prayer group last week, but they are a “Christians in sport” group and unfortunately I don’t play a sport here or back home.  Needless to say I felt a little out of place being there.  But I really miss being involved in a prayer group so I wanted to visit anyway.  It was very heartening, but more sports-focused.  I am hoping to find something more specifically for "unathletic" people like me! Haha :)

That’s all for now, dear reader.  Cheers!


-K

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ A Travel Blog by Kristin ~