Broadstairs Beach

Broadstairs Beach

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Globe Theatre and the Tower of London – and a pensive reflection which you may feel free to skip over



Shocking truth: the Globe Theatre as it currently stands is not actually the original Globe, nor is it on the site of the original Globe.  I had no idea that the Globe was completely burned down to the ground.  Guess I need to brush up on my British history.  In June 1613, a fire triggered by a cannon shot (which was used as a special effect in one of the productions) burned the entire theatre to the ground.  Thankfully, everyone escaped and no one was hurt too terribly.  Because the entire theatre was made of wood, it burned down in just an hour!  Talk about a fire hazard.  Anyway, I’m done with my history lesson. 

My camera has been acting funny and I can’t seem to upload pictures onto my laptop.  So here are some pictures that I've stolen from friends. 







I would love to see a play at the Globe.  Unfortunately, their season doesn't start until the spring.  I was fascinated to hear our guide talk about the playhouse in such detail.  The theatre was a lively place full of drunk, loud, and wild people.  I remember learning about the Globe in high school, but being there in person really helped me to imagine the smelly and rowdy groundlings crowding together near the stage and the wealthy people of the town sitting in their box seats, looking down disdainfully at the groundlings.  Our guide told us about the interactions between the audience and the players.  If a certain actor was performing poorly, the audience let him know of their disapproval by throwing things at him, calling him names, or talking over him.  Likewise, if an audience member was being particularly rowdy, an actor would direct his lines towards this person to regain this person’s attention.  Today at the Globe, the actors try to recreate the same atmosphere and encourage audience interaction.  In fact, the audience seating is always lit up, like a stage, so the actors can see everyone’s faces.  This is how it would have been in the seventeenth century.  Sometimes the actors perform with an all-male cast, as women were not allowed on stage in Shakespeare’s time.  Our guide assured us that, in order to make things fair, the Globe will sometimes use an all-female cast for certain plays. ;)

After our tour of the Globe, we had some free time for lunch.  I have been packing my lunch from home to save money.  Never in my life have I eaten so many PB&J sandwiches.  Not even in elementary school.  The things I do in the name of frugality…

The Tower of London was our second and final stop for the day.  I must be really ignorant because I thought that the Tower of London was literally just one tower.  Wrong.  It’s basically a town inside of these fortified walls.  Among other things, the crown jewels and the royal armour collection are kept there.  We saw the torture chamber as well.  The rack, the scavenger’s daughter, and the manacles were kept in a creepy little basement room in one of the towers.  Also, we were able to see some pretty cool carvings from the prisoners that were kept in the towers. 











Our guide was HILARIOUS
View of the Tower of London from the street
 Where the Crown Jewels are kept!
View of Tower Bridge from inside the Tower (NOT THE SAME AS LONDON BRIDGE)


The weekend held nothing particularly exciting or special.  I spent a lot of my time writing another essay and hanging up posters around campus for our American Thanksgiving celebration.  I cannot believe that I have been here for over two months!  Somehow time has slipped away from me.  And I still feel like I am living someone else’s life.  Going home will be a bigger transition than I previously thought.  How do I go from a place so rich with history, so full of inspiration, so packed with memories… back to my dull little life in Illinois?  Not to mention leaving my friends! :(  

(The following is the part you should skip if you’re not particularly fond of contemplative and overly-pensive wordiness)

I remember the advice someone gave me before leaving to go on this trip.  I was still really nervous about going so far from home, and this person told me, “Home will always be the same. Even after you come back.  Your family will still be there for you when you come back.  And so will your friends.  This is why you need to go.”  She didn't say any more, and I understood she meant a great deal more than that.  I don’t think she necessarily meant that home will never change in the physical sense, but at the time I couldn't possibly understand what she meant by it.  Now I think I finally get it.  It’s not something I can adequately explain.  Through this experience, I have learned to let go of my anxiousness and be spontaneous.  I have learned to push the boundaries of my faith.  And I have learned the difference between loneliness and solitude.  Quite frankly, I can always go home.  I am fortunate enough to have the kind of family that will always be waiting for me and loving on me, no matter where life takes me.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that “home” is no longer a physical place for me, but a state of mind.  After living abroad, the whole “home is where the heart is” has this earth-shattering truth to it.  I've never really subscribed to it before, but now I am completely convinced. 

(Faint of heart may resume reading now)

Anyway, next weekend we are headed to the Victoria and Albert Museum.  I've no idea what there is to see there, but it should be interesting and free – two adjectives that I’m quite fond of.  This week I've been hard at work on another essay.  I love that I have so much free time to write and rewrite and edit and analyze the crap out of my essays in true English major fashion.  That’s all going to change when I get back to NCC… le sigh.  Well, if you've read this far, wow.  You either have a lot of time on your hands or you are super dedicated.  Either way, I’m flattered. 

Have a lovely day!



– K   

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ A Travel Blog by Kristin ~